How to Order Restricted Items
How to Provide Official Authorization for Restricted Items
As soon as possible after submitting your order, send a letter of authorization via fax or mail...
- A written and signed authorization on your official letterhead
- A copy of your official picture identification card
- Toll-Free, (888) 588-8590, ATTN: Restricted Items
- Local & Intl., (704) 916-4562, ATTN: Restricted Items
- Customer Sevice
- ATTN: Restricted Items
- 2121-E Distribution Center Drive
- Charlotte, NC 28269
- We will keep your authorization letter on file for one year
- If we have not received your authorization within 10 business days of the date you placed your order, then your order will not be processed
Why Are Some Items Restricted?
Sales of restricted items are restricted by State/Federal law, and/or by CHIEF company policy. This is to better protect both the public and the Public Safety professionals we rely on to keep our communities safe.
Restricted Items Include But Are Not Limited to...
- Badges referencing law enforcement, security, state/federal agencies, etc.
- Automatic knives (sale restricted by Federal law)
- Auto opening kits
- Body Armor
All individuals purchasing BAE body armor will be required to complete the new BAE End User Certificate. This form verifies that you are authorized to own body armor for lawful purposes and commit to not reselling or giving the body armor to third parties. This new policy applies to all sales to individuals, including internet sales, and telephone orders. It does not apply to sales to US federal, state, and local agencies.
- Vehicle lighting and other equipment
- Pepper spray/OC spray (restrictions on sale and possession of pepper/ O.C. spray vary by state and local law; see below for more details on pepper spray restrictions)
- Defense Technology chemical munitions and launchers are regulated by the A.T.F. and will be sold only to law enforcement, federal and military agencies. Civilian orders will not be processed. An additional 4-6 weeks of processing time is required for A.T.F.-regulated products
- All products from BAE Systems may not be sold or shipped outside the United States (except for U.S. Military), including:
Additionally, the following manufacturers' products also cannot be shipped internationally (except for U.S. Military and Canada in some instances):
- 911 EP
- Defense Technology
- Forensics Source
- Hiatt USA
- Kleen Bore
- Protech Corrections
- Second Chance
- Pelican products
- 5.11 Tactical products
- Ballistic vests from any manufacturer
- Fire extinguisher parts or accessories from any manufacturer
- Flashlights from any manufacturer
- Handcuffs from any manufacturer
Review Laws & Regulations
By purchasing from CHIEF, the buyer assumes the full and complete responsibility of having ascertained and complied with all applicable local, state, federal and international laws with regard to the purchase, possession and use of any item purchased from CHIEF. Review your local municipal and state laws before ordering if you are in doubt.
Pepper Spray Restrictions
- Pepper spray cannot be shipped outside the U.S.A. (including APO/FPO addresses) or to a post-office box.
- New York: Pepper spray orders can only be shipped directly to public safety agencies. Pepper spray orders cannot be shipped to individuals.
- Massachusetts residents need an FID card to order pepper spray. We can ship pepper spray to Massachusetts if you fax a copy of your current FID card to us.
- Michigan: OC Pepper spray can be no stronger then a 2% concentrate. CS is the only Tear Gas accepted and can be no larger then 35 grams per can. No combination spray allowed.
- Wisconsin: Pepper only. No Tear gas, UV Dye or combination sprays. OC can be no stronger then a 10% solution. Can must be between 15-60 grams only. Must have safety feature.
- NOTE: Pepper Spray is legal in all 50 states; however, a number of cities and states have restrictions on sizes, strengths, etc. Check with your local city or state attorney's office, or with local law enforcement. Defense sprays should only be purchased by those 18 years of age or older. The above list may not be totally accurate or complete. CHIEF accepts no responsibility for its accuracy or completeness.
Please contact us.